Tuesday, 24 September 2013

Responsible Reporting - Daily Mail Stylee

By the magic that is Twitter, BFTF has read how the Daily Mail recently published an article wih the following quote:

Trust me, you don't want to read the article, but if you feel you need confirmation of what is says, here is the link in a spirit of transparency. Anyway, the key paragraph says:

Someone once told me that executives at a certain popular search engine don’t allow wifi in their homes. I don’t know if that is true, but if it is, it tells you all you need to know about how much those who actually run the internet feel they can trust it with their children.

Wow, BFTF had no idea quality journalism was so easy. If BFTF understands correctly, journalism works like this :

i)State conspiracy theory / outlandish fact
ii) Admit you don't know if the conspiracy theory or outlandish fact has any basis in reality at all, now have you tried to find out.
iii) Continue with the article on the assumption that the conspiracy theory is true.

Ok. got it. Now lets see if BFTF can match the quality, fairness and intellectual rigour of the Daily Mail...

"Someone once told me that cats are vegetarians. I don't know if that is true, but if it is, it tells you all you need to know about how cynically the meat based pet food industry sells its wares."

"Someone once told me that men did not land on the moon. I don't know if that it true, but if it is, then it tells you all you need to know about the governments and scientists conspire to fake major events."

"Someone once told me that the E100 (turmeric) contains pig fat. I don't know if that it true, but if it is, then it tells you all you need to know about food industry camouflages meat products so consumers cannot rcognise them."

"Someone once told me that vaccines cause brain damage. I don't know if that it true, but if it is, then it tells you all you need to know about how big pharma sells us acively harmful drugs."


By George, I do believe I've got the hang of this.

A new career awaits.

Thank You Daily Mail!

(Incidentally, BFTF has, over the last couple of years, genuinely been told all the "facts" listed above)

Related Links A Talk on the Nature of Conspiracy Theories
The Heirarchy of Argument

No comments:

Post a Comment