Sunday, 31 July 2011

Woodland Trust Interview (Pt1) - Introduction

Part 1 - Introduction
Part 2 - Interview
Part 3 - Actions

BFTF has a number of arms, as it were, and one of these is a weekly show on Nottingham's Radio Dawn 107.6FM.

Radio Dawn is Nottingham's Muslim Community Radio Station and BFTF is honoured and grateful to have had the opportunity to host a show on the station since it first started broadcasting 7 days a week back in 2006.

The show often features interviews with organisations ranging from Greenpeace to Trading Standards to local Youth Clubs. The intention has always been to transcribe these interviews and put them here on the blog, and slowly but surely, this intention is coming to pass.

A fascinating interview was recently held with Kaye Brennan from the Woodland Trust, but before providing some information on that, it is perhaps worth mentioning the story behind the interview. . .

Several years ago, I was in the car with Number 2 son when he said excitedly that he had just seen a very fast car (a Porsche perhaps, I can't actually remember). We were traveling down a tree lined avenue at the time and I wondered whether he could recognise the trees as well as he could recognise cars.

It turned out that he had no idea what type of trees were around us.

Then it struck me that, actually, I didn't recognise the trees that were passing me by. Oh dear, this wasn't good.

So, a week or two later I bought myself a Collins "Gem" book of Trees and started trying to identify trees as we were out and about in parks and the countryside. It has to be admitted that this wound up the family no end as, when on a walk, I would keep stopping to gaze intently at a tree whilst thumbing through my book to try and identify it.

Very quickly, I was able to recognise many of the common trees that can be found in our parks and woods. I even managed to pass on some of this new found knowledge to the youngsters.

Similarly, it was the sheer joy at now being able to recognise the trees around me, and to start learning about their characteristics, that provoked BFTF into trying to disseminate this information more widely via the "Just 5 Trees" project, which can be found here.

Then, one day, I found myself in a park where I didn't seem to be able to recognise a single tree. It was very strange. What was I doing wrong?

I emailed the Woodland Trust for help. They pointed out that many parks are planted with non-native trees and that this might be why they were not shown in my little book. They also kindly agreed to talk about British Woodlands on the radio - hence this interview.

You can read about the actual interview in Part 2 of this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment